Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Bidding Wars, Voyager, short stories, and a mid-grade novel, oh my.


 As with everyone, 2020 has presented unique challenges for our family. But it's also provided a number of opportunities. I've been writing and editing and revising fiction for a long time, and really haven't done anything with it. The novels Bidding Wars and Voyager have been hanging around since 2014, and I did take some tentative steps with connecting to agents, but the timing always seemed to be bad. Either the agent was trying to diversify his or her list, or he or she was at a point in their career where their docket was full, or something. I received some useful feedback and support, but ultimately, no big advance or offer.

The more I thought about the traditional publishing trajectory, the more I started to resent the idea that I might have to give up cover design to someone else. And of course the book would be shaped by other hands. I know that can be for the good, but I was really happy with the way I told the stories I wrote. While I love collaborating--and often my favorite projects are ones where I co-authored or co-edited it with someone or a group of someones--these felt like the versions of the books I wanted to put out. So, rather than trying to establish a new relationship with an editor, I connected with my friend, co-author, co-teacher, Heidi Wall Burns and had her edit the books.

I'm very happy with the results. Here's what I have to offer:

If you want to sign up for my newsletter, you can do that on my webpage

And, if you want signed copies of any of the books, you can do that from this page here.

Thanks so much for reading, the support, the feedback, and the conversations.

1 comments:

Darlena Luppino Torres said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.