Monday, March 13, 2017

The re-making of a Sneetch

The Sneetches is one of my favorite Seuss stories. So, when Rebekah Folwer mentioned Kohl's was selling stuffed Sneetches, I got very excited. However, when I finally got to Kohl's I was surprised to see they only Sneetches with stars on their bellies. Where were the ones without? I looked at both entrances, but no dice. I was disappointed, but not enough to leave empty-handed. I took my Sneetch home, and almost immediately began to wonder why they didn't make the Sneetch with a removable star. I mean, that's how the story works (Off again! On again! In again! Out again!
Through the machines they raced round and about again...)

The plan formed: 
1. buy another Sneetch
2. cut a star out of the Sneetch
3. attach the star by velcro to my pre-existing Sneetch
4. be happy

And so I bought a second Sneetch and the project began. Here is the unadulterated Sneetch.
I did my best to eye-ball the size and shape of the star, and cut a section out of the new Sneetch. But, it turned out that big enough. So I cut another, larger section. During this process, Parker asked if he could have the cut-up Sneetch. So, I decided I'd do my best to patch up the new Sneetch. (I should mention, I'm not very good at sewing.) Here's the patched-up Sneetch.


Parker didn't seem to mind my shoddy workmanship. 

After a few false starts, I finally managed to cut a properly-shaped, properly-scaled version of the star out of paper. I tried to trace the star onto the fabric, but my pen wouldn't do the trick. I hastily grabbed a Sharpie, which wrote wonderfully on the fabric... but left a red stain around the edges of it. Oh well, more of my shoddy workmanship.

Now, with the properly-sized star cutout, I turned to my wife. She thought the whole endeavor was silly, but was willing to help. I needed her to somehow "edge" the star so it wouldn't fray. She worked magic on her Serger. A little Velcro later, and a few stitches to hold it into place... and...


Tada!

Yes, it was silly and took much longer than it should have, but it amuses me to no end.

0 comments: